CIT Program Description
This three-week program is a wonderful opportunity to enhance and develop self-confidence, self-awareness, communication skills, tolerance for adversity, and personal leadership style. Your training as a CIT will begin with retreats in the spring, and by the time your CIT summer session begins you will be comfortable and confident with your skills. This is an endless opportunity to be a positive role model and to make new friends. We ask you to push yourself and then experience wonders you have never imagined!
- Must be 16-17 years of age and in high school
- Live in a cabin with up to ten campers and assist with the leadership and guidance of campers
- Leads and assists everyday counselor responsibilities, receiving constant feedback
- Responsible for interpreting the rules, policies, and traditions of Camp Kern to campers
- Must have a “Kids First” vision and place the camper’s safety and camp experience first
- Must have interest in, concern for, and the ability to work with children as well as the ability to understand
- Responsible for motivating camper participation in camp programs, cabin activities, and meals
- Must encourage a fun, positive, and safe environment within the parameters of the YMCA mission
- Assist with CIT service projects around Camp Kern
- CITs have time off to go home on the weekends between Friday’s check-out and Sunday’s check-in
CIT-A: Sessions 1-3 (June 2-7/June 9-14/June 16-21)
CIT-B: Sessions 3-5 (June 16-21/June 23-28/June 30-July 5)
CIT-C: Sessions 5-7 (June 30-July 5/July 7-12/July14-19)
CIT-D: Sessions 7-9 (July 14-19/July 21-26/July 28-August 2)
Please note that a weekend stayover is not automatically built-in to the CIT schedule to allow participants time away from camp to rest and recharge. If you would like your CIT to stay in between their sessions, please make sure to select a Weekend Stayover on your Camper Application.
CIT Application Process
Step1: Register for the CIT program
Step 3: Once your CIT application has been recevied and reviewed a mock interview will be scheduled. This is an opportunity to ask questions and your chance to share what you're most looking forward to as a CIT. These interviews can also be scheduled during the CIT retreat.
Step 4: Attend the CIT retreat and get ready for the summer! The CIT program includes an optional retreat:
Check-in: Friday, April 5th at 6:00 pm
Check-out: Saturday, April 6th at 6:00 pm
This retreat is not required for the program, and is intended as an added enhancement for those who are available.